Thursday 3 February 2011

Strippers in Movies

So I have a slight bone to pick with Hollywood over their portrayal of strippers. I noticed this while I was checking out "Our 15 Favorite Strippers in Movies". Almost all of the dancers in the movies are wearing regular heels. Not one of them is wearing a pair of 4" platforms, and I mean that's just four inches under the sole, that's like at least 8 inches in heel! But that is what my girls wear on stage, and that is about the same for all clubs that I have been to. If you see a girl on stage in regular heels then you can probably bet that she is new. But now to make my case, here are some pictures:


Demi Moore in Striptease
While I think the boots are really... gross, tacky, cheesey, it may just have been the time period, so it is forgiven, plus she gets props for at least having a platform.


Salma Hayek in From Dusk Till Dawn
While a truly memorable performance, (I look forward to getting drunk one night at the club and trying to pour liquor down a girls leg into some guys mouth) the girl got lazy and didn't even bother wearing shoes, but then again maybe the noise they'd make would scare the snake, and you don't want that. My I hate snakes.


Heather Grahm in The Hangover
Once again regular shoes, and to make it worse they're wedges, and I have a pair just like them.


Jessica Biel in Powder Blue
I must admit that I have never seen it, but now I am intrigued. Props for the platforms.


Lindsay Lohan in I Know Who Killed Me
Considering the movies won two Razzies I never have, nor will I ever see the movie. This sole, not counted as a real platform.


Marisa Tomei in The Wrestler
I really liked her in this, I really like her period. I didn't like the ridiculous hair, but hey, Jersey isn't know for it's taste in Hollywood. Not much of a platform but props for the shoes being clear, that is definitely a very popular thing (I even have a pair).


Natalie Portman in Closer
Adorable, simply adorable. Regular shoes though, even if they are really cute.


Rose McGowan in Planet Terror
I love this movie, I love her, I love Cherry, I love the shoes. They remind me of the shoes the girls wore in Dirty Dancing while they were learning to Hungry Eyes. Never the less, they are regular shoes.


Everyone in Showgirls
A whole lot of regular shoes, actually boots to be exact. Mama said if you've got nothing nice to say then don't say anything, so I'm being quiet

The Verdict:
Yeah, like I said in the beginning, not many actresses devote themselves fully to their roles as strippers in movies. While those platforms are difficult to walk in, I've done it up and down a hill, without any special training (other then having spent the last 5 years in at least 4inch heels). Their shoes are often very nice, but just not realistic. I still applaud all of them for taking on the role, yet I would like to see someone fully embrace it, maybe even learn some pole tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment